By old lady I mean I have come to a time in my life when I know the following:
- · It’s pointless to give a rat’s ass about what anyone thinks of me. I have a difficult enough time deciphering what will help ME be happy, why on earth would I waste time fretting about what others think?
- · A smile and kind word are easier to accomplish than a frown and a rebuke.
- · Every dog I ever loved will be waiting for me when I cross over into the next world.
- · It is neither my responsibility nor my mission to change anyone else. Therefore, I am delighted to exchange opinions in the sure knowledge that the truth is far bigger than either you or I can possibly imagine.
- · Everything I’ve ever thought, dreamed, or struggled for is a fleeting absurdity and a vanity.
- · I’m under no obligation to be consistent in my thoughts, words, or actions. I’m serious. Consistency truly IS the hobgoblin of small minds. (Yes, I misquoted Emerson. Gave you excuse to Google the correct quote and now you get to feel, if only momentarily, superior. Don’t thank me. It’s my little gift to you. And, just so you understand. I KNOW how you feel because I do the exact same thing and experience the exact same feeling of superiority. Again. You’re welcome)
- · Love really is the only thing in the world that matters.
- · Aeschylus was right. No matter how deeply buried we may be in despair, the awful grace of God finds us.
- · Humor is the best teacher.
- · My dog understands every word I say and every thought that flits through my brain. He may translate the meaning somewhat differently than I, but the dog GETS me.
- · Being either afraid or guilty is an incredible waste of time.
- · Being old is far better than being young. Being old is wild freedom and untarnished joy and the growing anticipation of being with God.
So, when you hear me call myself an old woman, do not picture a rocking chair and a shawl. Imagine, instead, a wild woman, purple-streaked gray hair flying, arms lifted to the sky, a grin as wide as joy and one harebrained plan or another flooding her brain.